- 5 hr drive to Joshua Tree
- Jumbo Rock on Wednesday night. Check.
- Any campground we want ;) SWEET!
- Hike to Outer Mongolia in the morning.. EARLY !
- Send the long anticipated Yasmine Bleeth (a 3 star, 2 pitch, 5.9) before Steve's grand kids arrive that afternoon. We knew we couldn't hike them that far. The rest of the weekend would be full of the easy stuff (the inner me smiles) so we can get the kids (8, 6 and 3) TO the climbs, let alone UP them.
Steve, as usual points us to the perfect destination (not to far from the car) and a short little face (sport) climb with 3 bolts that proved to be a challenge just to get off the ground. The off and on again rain was both annoying and refreshing, and we got used to the occasional mists.
Catch a Falling Star (5.8) and was reminded of how intimidating leading Traditional Crack Climbs can be when we train at the gym (with GriGris) and find so many sport routes outside these days that require no more than a quick inspection, quick draw, clip and move.
At 60 (or any age) you must remember where fear comes from and how to move past it.
This is what it's all about. Overcoming a private battle with your inner self. Fully supported (emotionally and via belay) by your friends.
As many of you know, moving beyond the obligatory comments of "nice" to really offer encouragement isn't always easy. Especially for those of us who climb with our spouses of 30+ years. Sometimes when he leads, my heart is in my throat. I prefer the official chatter when I'm the belayer. ON BELAY, CLIMBING, CLIMB. Besides not being a "leader" myself, I know me telling someone who feels lead out and pumped to focus and work trough it (when I couldn't do it myself) seems a little hollow. But I know it helps for a partner to feel like his/her partner can do it. It takes a team. There's no I in SEND!
(I just made that up) Really... I think there needs to be a T-shirt....so HERE IT IS:
BUY IT HERE - and benefit the Rock Phoenoms in Tempe, AZ - $20 each - Need 10 people to order to actually print the shirts.....so BUY NOW.
I know that's crazy....but that's the world we live in. Stay tuned. My next post will be of a daring RESCUE RAPPEL out at the Cat House.
Thanks for reading.